On July 1, 2016, I officially began my appointment as MCN's Dean. I am thrilled to continue the outstanding leadership that was directed by MCN's prior leadership – we share the same passion for this outstanding college, faculty, students and staff.
Nursing is an exciting career that can take you anywhere in the world! MCN educates students to reach their goals of becoming health leaders and making a difference.
Why should you consider MCN for your education, career, collaboration project, or support of our faculty, staff and students? Let me share with you some of the highlights that I discovered, which is why I wanted to join the leadership of this college:
• The COMPASSION of the faculty and staff – they are all committed to student success and educating exceptionally well prepared nurses.
• The HISTORY – this college has an incredible history and tradition of excellence dating back to 1919, and we are already preparing to celebrate 100 years of nursing!
• The FACULTY are known as master teachers and consistently win awards for their teaching expertise. Classes are taught by faculty with cutting edge, research and clinical expertise. Faculty-student ratio at clinical sites is 1:8. Undergraduate and graduate students have opportunities to work with nationally recognized nurse scientist faculty on their research.
• The PROGRAMS available for undergraduate and graduate students are designed to meet the needs for a variety of students with a passion for a career as a nurse. Some of our programs are fully online, and our NSA program is ranked as one of the Best Online Nursing Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
• The NURSING SIMULATION LABORATORY (NSL) – this outstanding facility was opened in August 2011, and provides students with real life situations using high fidelity patient simulators in a safe environment. Faculty have received training from the top simulation experts in the country.
• The NCLEX-RN PASS RATE – consistently exceeds state and national averages. Graduates of MCN at Illinois State University achieved a 94% pass rate on the national nursing licensure examination (NCLEX-RN) on the first try in 2016, well above the national and state averages which are both 85%.
• The OPPORTUNITIES that are available for students
Scholarships and Awards
M.E.N. in Nursing
Student Organizations – SNA and MGSO
Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society
MCN Nursing Floor
• Being part of ILLINOIS STATE UNIVERSITY - in July 1999, MCN became the sixth college at ISU, after formerly being a private college. Students thrive in the small nursing college environment while having the recognition and advantages of a larger university.
There is so much more I could add to this list, so I invite you to explore our website. My goal as MCN's Dean is to maintain the important traditions from the past, while moving forward with innovative programs and collaborations to keep MCN as one of the best nursing colleges in the country.
I look forward to meeting students, alumni and friends throughout the community as I start my journey at MCN!
Judy Neubrander, Ed.D., FNP-BC